Toast to singlehood
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
  MY COMPO(X
Delighted and filled with enthusiasm, I entered my dream school, Saint Patrick’s School with a Primary Six Leaving Examination tee score of one hundred and ninety seven. Inspired by my best friend, who was a Peer Support Leader then, tempted me to join the school. The learning centre had walls so badly damaged, chairs and tables filled with graffiti. However, the statue of our founder, Saint John Baptist De La Salle reminded me that I am here to learn, not to complain.

“When we met they were clouds of doubt”, people usually say, boys at around my age entered the school will dull faces, looking troubled and tired, and everyone misses their school holidays! Not many knew the other who was a metre away. Feeling disturbed by a group of older boys who spoke vulgarities outside the general office, I went closer to my ex schoolmates. Everyone put on their ties and headed for the parade square.

I never knew assemblies were long and boring in Saint Patrick’s, I entered my new classroom with my bag filled with books, I felt like a nerd once again. My class, 1E4 was very special because it was the only class that was filled with only boys from affiliated schools.

“Friends were found as we came together”, the first two years I had in Saint Patrick’s was coming to an end. I made many new friends, even with those who were few years older than me. But I get bullied in class by my classmates, tortured by seniors when I joined the school’s Saint John Ambulance Brigade. I regretted my choice, and so much for being tempted to be a Peer Support leader.


Streaming naturally was every secondary two student’s worry, so was mine. But all I did was open my book and revise through all my notes, efforts made and seen by my parents but I knew it was useless trying to be different from the usual lazy me.

Result slips were hand given to each and every one of us, I waited patiently, and palms sweating profusely, eyes totally shut out and prayers were said repeatedly within me. My fate was sealed after I received my result slip, I felt that the world is so unfair, of all people why me? Why am I the one who dropped into the normal stream? I later shed a tear or two, reflecting to myself, if only I worked harder, I would not be in such a desperate situation.

I have never felt worse than this, I promised myself I will work harder when I am in Normal stream, and I must. Soon enough I adapted in my new class, I became what I wanted, a Peer Support Leader. I learnt that coins have two sides; my friends also do not wish to be in the normal stream but had no choice. I recalled the couple of tears I shed, and they could be tears of joy which represent what I will be learning from my classmates.

Normal stream life felt easier compared to my past, lesser stress, lesser homework and more freedom! I made new friends too especially the handsome chap who sits behind me everyday, he talks everyday and never fails to cheer any dull face up.

Now fifteen going sixteen, I achieved many things which I have never expected I would, I became the Chairman for the school’s Peer Support Board, the table tennis team’s captain and also a respectable role in the school’s Saint John’s Ambulance Brigade. I received more than I needed. Soon I will take a national examination and I will not let history repeat itself. I do not wish to experience what I experience again.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives
December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]